Wednesday 20 May 2009

Following from my first post about the social issues of Ethnic Minorities, I continue by expanding on my thoughts.

Equal Opportunities or Equal under the Law should afford every individual the same opportunities suffice that they are prepared to work hard. I look at the recent election of Barack Obama in the United States of America and have seen how far the American people have come in accepting or should I say tolerating racial harmony even though they're still much work to be done. That election to me was the last hope for everyone on this earth because it gives everyone who falls into the category of minority to feel hope and and belief in the system that at least in the USA Equal Under the Law/Equal Opportunity appears to be working. If the people believes that the system of Equal Opportunity is working it would instill a sense of hard work and excellence in whatever people do. People would strive to be better i.e more people would want to go back to school to better themselves, this would result in more and more people coming off the benefit. All people wants to be guaranteed that if they work hard, that they will be treated fairly and as a result their lives is going to become better.

I have friends from all walks of life and in different class. Some of my friends are in the upper class of society and some are in the working (lower class) of society. This differentiation doesn't mean that my friends in the lower class of society doesn't have the same level of education or even more than my friends who are considered in the upper class. They have jobs and are hard working as the ones in the upper class. The question I'm trying to ask myself is, why haven't they made it to that class or why weren't they given the opportunity to even demonstrate their capabilities? Most of the friends in the lower class or what I consider lower class have accents which aren't necessarily British as they're from all parts of the Caribbean. That doesn't mean that they don't have impeccable grammar and easy to understand accents. So why it it that they're finding it so difficult to find jobs or if in work, upward mobility is a steep climb.

This is a discussion that needs to be had and I wish we all read and comment on this.

Get reading and share your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment