Thursday 14 May 2009

Employment and the social ladder

I'm writing from my personal experience and a lot of my mates as an ethnic minority living here in the UK. I have found that a lot of ethnic minorities especially black men even though we're highly educated and have the relevant experience to operate at a very high level in the work place; we're not given the chance to do so and especially in very big Companies. When we're actually given the opportunity it's within very small family run Companies with 6 or 8 employees. This to me is very bad in a lot of sense for the following reason: Small Companies do not have the funds to make their salary scale comparable with say medium to large Companies with someone of the same qualifications and experience. When we do apply to the large companies we're told we have too many small Company experience and thus we're over looked for the jobs. This is creating a whole lot of social problem because even though we're being preached today in and day out about equal opportunities, I feel that it is not really being practiced and thus leaving black men especially at the bottom of the social ladder and continually creating a a society of the haves and have nots.

This type of exclusion to me is spilling over even into social circles where only people of a certain ethnic group can afford to socialize at certain bars and restaurants and black men and a large part of the ethnic minority community is pushed to socialize in the most grotty and dangerous parts of society.

Equal opportunity to me means total integration at all levels of society and zero tolerance on all levels of exclusion.

These are some of my thoughts, do comment and let's get this discussion started.

No comments:

Post a Comment